We would like to give thanks to the land that we seek to restore. Traditionally, this land was home to many peoples throughout the early, middle, transitional, and late historic periods since the last ice age, which receded approximately 13,000 years ago. For over one thousands years, prior to the arrival of Champlain in the early 1600's, the Iroquoian speaking Neutral peoples (Chonnonton) and the Algic speaking Mississauaga peoples (Michi Saagiig) shared peaceful co-habitation in South Western Ontario. The Mississauagas allowed the Neutrals to grow their crops and their civilization in the interior of what became the Great Lakes, under a peace agreement, and together these two groups traded successfully for many generations. Throughout that time the land was also converted to an Oak Savannah and food forest.
More recently, in 1782 the Mississauaga sold land to the British (deals that are still contested and under treaty negotiation with the government of Canada), who in turn gave land to the Six Nations confederacy (originally the five Nations confederacy) along the shores of the Grand River. The confederacy was fleeing what became America and their homeland along the Southern shore of Lake Ontario with their allies the United Empire Loyalists, as a result of pressures from the Americans.
There is a long and complex history of Indigenous relationships, occupations, treaties, and land stewardship in South Western Ontario. We acknowledge the ancestors of this land, both past and present. Our goal is to peacefully restore the land and we thank all our relations in this process.